Saturday, January 14, 2012

I Will Survive

So, I am in process of crafting a blog about my word of the year for 2012. I've gotten a good start, but the inspiration hasn't hit for it exactly as I had hoped. I think that I just need that one to marinate a little while longer.

Have you ever had something completely unlikely give you inspiration out of nowhere? That happened to me yesterday. For the last few months I have been going through a really, really hard time. I have had some amazing support through it all. There have been many times, however, that I have had trouble gaining perspective on my situation. I guess it's like that saying "you can't see the forest for the trees." I have, at times, convinced myself that no one in the world has felt what I feel or understands what I am going through. That is a miserable place. There has been good that has come out of my situation, but I'll cover that another time.

Yesterday I hung out with some of my favorite ladies. We went to dinner, Starbucks, and then found ourselves at a fun, local karaoke bar. I had a sad moment or two throughout the night, but was having a lot of fun. Early on in the night someone got up and sang "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor. In the middle of singing along it hit me. I will survive. It hit me that a zillion people have gone through things similar and much worse than what I am going through and guess what...they make it. It hit me that no matter what happens in my life I have God, an incredible family, and amazing friends. It hit me that, in the words of Ms. Gaynor, "I've got all my life to live. I've got all my love to give." It hit me that life goes on and that one day I will feel normal again.

Is this the most profound thing that I have ever realized? No. But, it was most definitely a needed epiphany for me.

So, now I am off to watch some football and re-teach myself how to crochet. That is one exciting Saturday night if you ask me ;)

Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment