Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Protect your Boat

Running from God, disobeying, not fulfilling your call...sound like anyone you know? Well, I'm specifically talking about Jonah. My lovely friend, Andrea, told me about a sermon she heard when she was a teenager about Jonah. I thought about the things that she told me and I went back and re-read the first chapter of Jonah and learned so much. Jonah deliberately disobeyed the call of God on his life. God said go this way and he went the opposite way. When Jonah boarded the ship to Tarshish God sent a great storm. Now, something that never struck me until I talked with Andrea and re-read it for myself was that Jonah, by disobeying God, put not only his life at risk but he also risked the lives of all the other people on that boat. When we allow people into our lives (on our boat if you will) who are disobeying God we put our lives at risk. Now, something else I realized in this chapter is this: at the end of the chapter the sailors threw Jonah into the sea and the storm stopped. They were awestruck by God's power and began to serve God. Sometimes when we remove the people from our lives who are disobeying God we are able to see His power calm the storms in our lives.

Just something to think about :)

Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment